Trust Family Dental Care to Complete Your Root Canal
At Family Dental Care, we want to provide our patients with the best care possible. We understand that visiting the dentist is not your idea of a good time and may even cause you anxiety or stress.
Our team will calm your dental anxieties by providing gentle care and answering any questions you have about the procedure you’re undergoing. Root canals have the worst reputation when it comes to dental procedures, but our dental staff in Illinois will make this treatment a breeze.
There’s no need to worry because we’ll do everything we can to ensure you’re comfortable throughout the entire appointment.
What is a Root Canal?
A root canal is a treatment needed to save a tooth that currently has an infection in its pulp. Tooth pulp is the soft tissue inside a tooth that contains blood vessels and nerves.
Not only can an infection of the pulp be painful, but it can also cause the loss of the entire tooth if not treated. The tooth may become infected due to a crack or chip, a deep cavity or filling, or another serious injury that allows bacteria into the tooth.
A root canal will clean out the infection and fill the tooth to restore it to its original strength and function.
How Do I Know When I Need a Root Canal?
Dental discomfort of any sort is usually not a good sign, and often means you require some sort of treatment from a dentist. An infected tooth will present its own unique set of symptoms, letting you know it’s time to see an oral health professional.
It’s important to not ignore these signs, as putting off a root canal could result in loss of your tooth or the infection spreading to surrounding areas. You likely need a root canal if you are encountering any of the following symptoms:
- Severe toothache or pain
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in nearby gums
What is the Process of a Root Canal Treatment?
For many patients, it’s helpful to know all the steps of a treatment before they begin, so they know exactly what they need to prepare for. This can help ease anxiety about the treatment and make you feel more relaxed prior to the appointment.
At Family Dental Care, we’ll do our best to answer any questions you have about the root canal process. We want to put your mind at ease, so you can have a comfortable experience.
Most root canal procedures will follow these same basic steps:
- Preparation: First, your dentist will numb the area to make the procedure more comfortable for you. This way you’ll feel little or no discomfort throughout the procedure.
- Removal of Pulp: A hole is drilled in the tooth to access the root and the infected pulp is removed using special dental tools. Each root canal is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.
- Filling of Tooth: The dentist will then fill the root with a rubber-like material that will completely seal the area.
- Temporary Filling: A temporary filling is then placed in the tooth to help prevent any further infection as you heal.
- Placement of Crown: Once satisfied that the area is free of infection, your dentist will remove the temporary filling and restore the tooth by placing a crown over the tooth. This will return your tooth to its original strength.
Recovery After a Root Canal
After your root canal treatment, your dentist will send you home with instructions on how to care for your tooth and how to manage any discomfort. For the most part, any tenderness or discomfort can be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers.
You’ll want to avoid fully chewing or biting down on the tooth until it is completely restored with the crown. This will prevent any damage to the tooth as it heals.
You’ll want to brush and floss as normal, just taking extra care around the treated tooth. Keeping the area clean will help to prevent any infection.
If you experience any extreme pain or visible swelling, you’ll want to call your dentist as soon as possible.
Make an Appointment with Our Team
Have you been experiencing any tooth pain or swelling? Don’t delay in calling a dental professional like the team at Family Dental Care. With offices in Glen Ellyn, Campton Hills, and Bloomingdale, we serve many areas of Northern Illinois and are ready to care for your entire family.
Please contact us today to schedule an appointment for a root canal or any of our other general, cosmetic, or restorative dental services.